Subject: difficulty using cvs to retrieve security patches
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2004 17:05:59
I can't seem to use cvs; could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I tried to follow the instructions in (for example) NetBSD-SA2003-018
to retrieve updated sources to fix security vulnerabilities (on
NetBSD 1.6).  The advisory says:

|  To update from CVS, re-build, and re-install named:
|    # cd src
|    # cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind
|
|    # cd usr.sbin/bind
|    # make USETOOLS=no cleandir dependall
|    # make USETOOLS=no install

But when I

  cd /usr/src
  cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind

I get:

  anoncvs.netbsd.org: Connection refused
  cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I tried tracing with:

  cvs -t update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind

and got the additional info:

  cvs update: notice: main loop with CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
 -> Starting server: rsh anoncvs.netbsd.org -l anoncvs cvs server

At some point in my experimentation I discovered something that suggested
I had to use the "pserver" method (whatever that is), so I tried this:

  cvs -t -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot \
    update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind

and this time I seem to have connected at least, but:

  cvs update: notice: main loop with CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot
  S-> unlink(dist/bind/CVS/Entries.Static)
   -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Static)
  cvs server: Updating dist/bind
  S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
  S-> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
  cvs server: cannot open directory /cvsroot/basesrc/dist/bind: No such file or directory
  cvs server: skipping directory dist/bind
  S-> unlink(usr.sbin/bind/CVS/Entries.Static)
   -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Static)
  cvs server: Updating usr.sbin/bind
  S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
  S-> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
  cvs server: cannot open directory /cvsroot/basesrc/usr.sbin/bind: No such file or directory
  cvs server: skipping directory usr.sbin/bind

I tried to retrieve files mentioned in several different advisories, but
got either "No such file or directory" or "is no longer in the repository"
in each case.

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Anne.
--