Subject: Re: recovering from a bad crash, ffs recovery
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2004 23:58:43
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 @ 21:27 +0100, Manuel Bouyer said:

> > I have no idea what to do with that.
> >
> > I did run it and look around, but I'd cause more damage than help.
> >
> > I ran a restore of a dump from last year from a 4mm DDS2 tape, and it
> > worked fine.
>
> Over the same drive, or a different one ?

The tape was created on a Seagate 4mm DDS2... can't remember the name.
The drive I restored from is an old Archive Python tape robot.

The Seagate drive appears to be dead as it won't read a thing.

I've actually taken the Python apart when one of the capstan drives came
apart.  Glued it back, and its been running for 2 more years.

But, I really need something else.

> > I'd like to recover the last year of updates, but is it feasible to
> > do this with fsdb?
>
> I think it is but I'm not sure exactly how ...

I decided to just endure the pain of a few missing files.

I recovered my CVS repository manually today, and nothing else important
is missing.

I'd have everything if the most recent backup had not failed.  It isn't
a tape error, its an archive error of some kind.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com