Subject: Re: recovering from a bad crash, ffs recovery
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/06/2004 15:17:22
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 @ 00:44 +0100, Manuel Bouyer said:

> > Maybe a tool to tell ffs to use an alternate superblock or something?
>
> Well, no. What you really needs to is to play with fsdb now.

I have no idea what to do with that.

I did run it and look around, but I'd cause more damage than help.

I ran a restore of a dump from last year from a 4mm DDS2 tape, and it
worked fine.

This is an archive drive with 12+ years of misc files.  The reason it is
a loss is because of the years of time it took to collect the files, and
some of them are archives of stuff no longer available on the net.

Now that I have it updated as of last year, the loss is not so painful.

I'd like to recover the last year of updates, but is it feasible to
do this with fsdb?

I scanned for superblocks with vim and read through all the deleted
directories and files... is there any way to reactivate the metadata
with fsdb quickly?

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com