Subject: Re: Unprivileged access to devices
To: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2004 08:45:04
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, David S. wrote:

> > How is access granted to unprivileged users (i.e. not root) for the use
> > of devices such as the cd-rom or dvd drive?
> >
> > Having to change the permissions may be no problem for me but for some
> > this leaves the impression that things are "broken", so I don't think
> > this is the answer either. Perhaps the install scripts could be modified
> > to default to being more liberal with the devices.
> >
> > Should there not be an out-of-box functionality for this stuff?
>
> 	man ttyaction(5)

What good does that do if there's more than one person logged in?

It's very sensible, IMO, to make "/dev/rcd?[ad]" group writable. The
daily security script will warn about that, unfortunately, and the
only trivial way to suppress the warning is to suppress it for *all*
suid program *and* device changes, or else customize "/etc/security".

Frederick