Subject: Re: SCCS, CSSC
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/30/2003 02:49:24
[ On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 05:59:56 (-0600), Richard Rauch wrote: ]
> Subject: SCCS, CSSC
>
> I just noticed that I have "CSSC" installed, which is a GNU version of
> SCCS.  Reading the info page for it, I noticed that SCCS was under a
> Berkeley license.  (Somehow, I thought that SCCS was not available to
> the masses.)

A version of the original SCCS is indeed publicly available:

	cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs projects

Within you'll find the result of work to make the "original" SCCS work
on a modern 4BSD-based system.

> (The CSSC docs actually "strongly", I believe, discourage use of CSSC
> on new projects due to incompleteness, but only provide it for use
> in place of SCCS where conversion to another source code control system
> is not practical and where (for some reason) SCCS, itself, cannot be
> used.)

GNU CSSC is now remarkably complete, contrary to the claims in some of
its documentation, and it's remarkably compatible with not just the
"original" PWB version of SCCS, but also with some of the more recent
vendor modified versions of SCCS, though of course there are some
fundamentally incompatible extensions.  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods