Subject: Re: kde starting error
To: Caloro Maurizio <mauric@gmx.ch>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/18/2003 09:46:26
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:34:28PM +0100, Caloro Maurizio wrote:
> dear netbsd team,
>
> on my netbsd 1.6.1 I386 machine i have installed
> the kde paket i want start now my new created "KDE3"
> and i have read that i must creat following file
> ".xsession"
>
> please can any one tell my why i have this error
> thanks in advance
>
> pluto# cat .xsession
> #!/bin/sh
> export
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startkde

That works.

> pluto# sh .xsession

That does not.

A .xsession file is executed if you log in via XDM, which is enabled via
/etc/rc.conf

If you log in via a text console and want to start X and KDE, copy or
symlink your .xsession file to .xinitrc and run startx:

(make sure your .xsession is executable)

chmod 755 .xsession
ln -s .xsession .xinitrc
startx

This will start X, which will then look in various places for startup
files, the one in your home directory should override any system-wide
configs to start up other window managers (gnome, twm, etc).

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org