Subject: Re: email (was Re: Recoverable Network File System?)
To: None <Netbsd-Users@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2003 19:47:06
On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:54:15PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:47:05PM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> >
> > NETWORKS
> > At 100Mb/s, 100baseTX can give us files at about the speed of a 7200RPM
> > baracuda drive.  Maybe 8MB/s.  GigE is faster, but still not as fast as
> > local 15kRPM drives.  Not close.
>
> That's nonsense.  Show me a single 15kRPM drive that sustains 90KByte/sec.

Heh.  Speaking of "nonsense": Obviously, I meant "MByte", not "KByte".

Building RAID subsystems that can actually sustain gigabit performance on
anything other than synthetic long-write or long-read benchmarks is pretty
hard to do -- and often, even with NFS, the bottleneck these days really is
the disks, if one has tuned the rest of the system accordingly.  Just ask
Jason or Jonathan, both of whom do this for a living.

Latency, on the other hand, is another question.