Subject: Re: is quotacheck always so ploddingly slow on big filesystems?
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Kolos <michael@colba.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2003 23:03:12
Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> wrote :

> Of course this isn't giving me any good vibes about using quotas on a
> production web server hosting many thousands of personal web pages.  :-(

I've been running with quotas on a busy web server with the many thousands of clients, and have had no problems with the quota systems.

Except that users who run scripts that allow them to upload files are owned by the web server user and thus don't get counted towards their quota.  With cgi you can get around this using suexec, but not with php running as a module. (watch out for photo album programs).

Michael Kolos
Administrateur de Réseau
Network Administrator
ColbaNet Inc.