Subject: pkgsrc dependency problem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas devreese <thomasdevreese@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2003 17:00:58
Hi, I've got a rather annoying problem.

I want to install psi from the latest pkgsrc.
After a while:
===> Installing for glu-5.0.2nb3
===>  glu-5.0.2 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete glu-5.0.2" and "make reinstall" to upgrade properly
***  - "make update" to rebuild the package and all of its dependencies
***  - "make replace" to replace only the package without re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

If I do pkg_delete glu-5.0.2, it says that it's needed by a ton of other
applications like kdebase-3.1.4.

make update will update almost all installed programs, including kde. I'd
rather not do that to install a simple chat program.

make replace will very likely screw a few programs dependent on it, so
that's not an alternative.

Can I expect this every time I update pkgsrc?
Wouldn't it be possible to maintain different versions of packages on a
system to prevent this situation? Why isn't it that way; are there problems
with that approach of should it still be done? What if anything is done on
other systems to prevent this?

Pointers to enlightening information on the subject are also very welcome :)

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Ken je het magazine Glamo al? http://www.msn.be/glamo