Subject: Mailman & Apache weirdness
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alan DeKok <aland@ox.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2003 17:20:31
  I'm running NetBSD 1.6, with a more current pkgsrc.  I've installed
Apache and Mailman, but they won't work together, and I can't for the
life of me figure out what's wrong.  The summary is that Mailman won't
deliver mail, and Apache won't let me access anything other than the
"splash pages" for a list.

  I've set up Mailman to have it's own local aliases file, as
suggested previously on the list.  Postfix now uses the mailman
scripts to deliver messages to the lists, but the responses don't come
back.  Instead, they sit in the /var/db/mailman/qfiles/ directory
forever...

  As for Apache, I get errors like:

--
configuration error:  couldn't perform authentication. AuthType not set!: /mailman/admin/test/
--

  This is despite having the default pkgsrc 'mailman.conf' set to
'Allow from all', for the relevant directories.

 The 'debug' log level for Apache prints nothing more than any other
log level, so I can't ever find out what part of the configuration led
it to make it's decision.

  Is it just me, or is it impossible to get Mailman working?  Is there
something in a more current pkgsrc which will let it work "out of the
box"?  I've tried installing Mailman on Linux systems in the past, and
didn't get any further.  But there are many people using Mailman, so
there must be *something* I'm missing, though I'm convinced it isn't
in the Mailman documentation.

  The only reason I wanted to install mailman is the nice web pages
for the list subscribers.  If there's anything other than mailman
which has similar pretty pages (and doesn't require midnight
sacrifices), I'll switch to that in a heartbeat.

  Alan DeKok.