Subject: Re: gphoto
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2003 08:43:42
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Has anyone, anywhere, at any time ever gotten gphoto to build or install on
> NetBSD of any version?

I just built gphoto2-2.1.3 on NetBSD-1.6ZF (against libusb-0.1.7,
popt-1.7, gettext-0.12.1, libgphoto2-2.1.3, but patched to use native
curses). I did it the hard way, feeling that was the best chance of my
cheap camera being supported, but alas, it was not. The package for
gphoto2 is only one level down, at 2.1.2.

> Attempted to install popt from pkgsrc. Seems that everything in pkgsrc uses
> popt, so it delete hundreds of packages, and fails to rebuild most of them.
> System is now trashed - GUI, kde and gnome all gone.

Upgrade NetBSD try again? I just rebuilt about 400 packages on
NetBSD-1.6ZF (including gnome1), and had to make only a few tweaks,
which I committed. KDE is supposed to be working by now, too. The only
thing that's really broken right now, on current, is "wine".

[adventures snipped]

> It looks to me like you can download pkgsrc once, build from the version
> once, and never, ever "make update".

I never use "make update". I objected when this went in, but the
consensus was that it's better to have something that's fundamentally
broken than nothing at all. I think there never will be a foolproof
way to upgrade all packages from source, but there seem to be better
ways to do it than "make update".

> I hope this isn't going to be used for packaging NetBSD, as it is a disaster
> waiting to happen.

Who said it would? The problems with package upgrading are well known,
unfortunately. There is a scheme in the works, "pkgviews", so we'll
just have to see how that goes.

Frederick