Subject: Re: Generic pkgsrc question
To: Gabor Nyeki <bigmac@vim.hu>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/19/2003 13:08:17
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/11/19/0006.html

It's true that pkgsrc is at least put into a freeze and tightened up for
bugs around system releases.

But I don't think thatp kgsrc is actually versioned.  Bear in mind that
pkgsrc is not branched (so far as I know) and not only does the same version
run on multiple NetBSD releases, but it also runs on non-NetBSD operating
systems.

That's not to say that NetBSD releases have no impact on pkgsrc.  In addition
to trying to make a particularly clean tree for a release,  there is some
version-dependance in pkgsrc, and sufficiently old NetBSD releases may not
be particularly well supported.

In short, my understanding is that there is no *formal* relationship between
pkgsrc's status and NetBSD releases.  Unless you are running a truly old
version of NetBSd, it is likely best to get the latest version of pkgsrc.
(Except that if you have a lot of already-installed packages, the latest version
may force your system to rebuild a lot of things that are working just fine
as they are.  And once in a while, something that you care about may not build
at all due to pkgsrc fluxuation.  The likelyhood of such depends in part on
how many packages you have, and how complex their relationships are---and on
when you last updated pkgsrc and your packages.)