Subject: Re: BasiliskII floppy dev
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/13/2003 09:07:06
On Thursday 13 November 2003 3:44 am, Todd Vierling wrote:

> first off, by "ancient" it better not be double density (non-HD)
> disks, as those are not readable by any standard PC floppy
> controller[*].

Not true. Out of the four 'PC's I have here, all four are able to read
my old Atari ST DD disks using /dev/rfd0f (see man fdc(4)).

>   $ dd if=/dev/rfd0a of=diskimage.hfv bs=512 count=2880
>
> The resultant image should be mountable in BasiliskII just like any
> other "floppy" option.

This will work so long as the floppy was formatted using 'standard'
parameters (double-sided, 18 sectors per track, 80 tracks). Anything
non-standard will require a custom program to issue the relevant
ioctl(2) calls to the fdc(4) driver.

Cheers, Steve