Subject: Re: Problem with CR/LF Printing Text to HP LaserJet--Progress
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/22/2003 00:22:36
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 skidmore@macconnection.net wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 21 2003 at 23:00 PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > > lpd[xxxx]: /dev/lp: no such file or directory
> >
> > Fun. It shouldn't try to talk to your local printer when you define it to
> > use a remote printer. Ummm.. Unless this error actually is propagated from
> > the remote machine. Do you have a /dev/lp on that machine?
>
> Sorry, I did not make clear what my configuration is.  The remote printer
> is not connected to another machine -- it is hung off the network.

That's another machine by another name. :-)

> As a reminder, that printcap entry (even with the 'lp') works great printing
> to that same printer from my FreeBSD i368 box.

Okay. So it's something in your printcap file. How does the printcap look
on that machine?

Hm. Wait a minute. You did manage to get the files printed, but with the
ladder effect, right?

If so, you are all set. What you need is the "fix" for the Unix LF for
end-of-line thing.
That's where we move back into magicfilter.

	Johnny