Subject: Re: FFSv1/FFSv2/UFS2 question
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 12:15:34
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:17:37PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> can anyone explain me:
>
> 1) what's the difference between FFSv1 and FFSv2.

FFSv2 uses 64bit numbers for disk fragment addresses (and a few other
fields).  The main effect is to double the size of the on-disk inode.

The number of inodes is still a 32bit number.
Also the disklabel has trouble defining disks with more than 2^32
sectors - so allowing more fragments seems premature!

> 2) what is UFS2. Is it somewhat faster or just has some new features?

A synonym for FFSv2

> 3) what newfs creates by default in -current?

FFSv1

> i will be happy to know what filesystem i'm using now on my 40GB disk ;)

Probably FFSv1.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk