Subject: Re: AutoIP
To: None <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2003 18:43:02
On Sunday 12 October 2003 01:49, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <200310092033.54769.ianzag@megasignal.com> you wrote:
> > supported natively by kernel. At least i havn't found it :) Any ideas
> > about AutoIP support under NetBSD ? Does anybody needs it at all except
> > me ?
>
> Use IPv6. Has stateless autoconfiguration for both routed and link-local
> addresses, plus duplicate address detection. What more can you ask for.

Unfortunatelly, this isn't an option. Software bust co-exist with zoo of
different operating systems including all Win32s, OS/2 and Unix-es. From my
current understanding, not all of them support IPv6 and IPv6 itself isn't
just subset of IPv4, this is the different quite incompatible protocol based
on IPv4. Of course, maybe i'm wrong..

> Oh and yes, it works fine with NetBSD. :)

You'll probably laught, but running NetBSD which is IPv6's pioneer i'v never
used/tried IPv6 itself :)

--
JSC Novosibirsk Geophysical Equipment Development Center.
WEB	http://www.megasignal.com