Subject: Re: Starting nfs service
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2003 15:09:36
Quoting Max (netbsd-users@NetBSD.org):
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie in NFS so excuse me if I did something stupid.
> I have a problem starting nfsd.
>
> I created
> -rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel  47 Sep 26 12:21 /etc/exports
> with
> /usr/pkgsrc /usr/pkgdist -maproot=root pc2
>
> I added
> mountd=YES
> nfsd=YES
> to /etc/rc.conf

You need:
  rpcbind (aka portmap on some platform).
  nfsd
  mountd
  optionally lockd.

rpcinfo -p localhost
  should show that nfsd is running (likely on 2049)
  along with mountd.

And you want files in /etc/ to NOT be group writable as a matter
of course.  You leave yourself open to easy compromise.  all I
have to do is get on as a user who happens to be in group wheel
on your machine and I can export whatever I want, however I want.
That's bad.