Subject: Re: UPS control software?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030926T140451@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/26/2003 14:13:57
bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) writes:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:21:48PM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > Well, it isn't that graceful, is it?  The only way I can see to power
> > off is to tell the UPS to power down in 30 seconds and then quickly
> > shutdown all the processes and hope one of them doesn't hang for 30
> > seconds.
>
> I set it to more than 30s.
> Processes shouldn't actually hang a shutdown for too long on NetBSD. The
> only real problem can be NFS timeouts against an already down server.

When we have failures here the power sometimes bounces back up for a
while and then goes away again.  I want to make sure that there is
enough battery left that in situations like that, that Netbsd can come
up enough to go to multiuser and immediately issue another
power-failure shutdown.  This more or less dictates that I don't waste
a lot of battery by leaving the UPS running a halted system for too
long on the first shutdown.

Come to think of it I should really check what the power useage is
when the system is sitting at the "the system is now halted" message.
Hopefully it is still executing the "halt" instruction in a tight
loop.  The power my system uses doubles when the CPU is actually
running.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
           The From: address is valid.  Don't mess with it.