Subject: Re: build.sh '-u' behavior problematic with new installs
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 15:58:33
"Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> writes:

> All that remains is to decide what to build.  IFF your build system can
> identify all the interdependencies between source files and their
> product object files, and IFF your build system can positively and
> securely identify which source files have been changed since the last
> build (e.g. by way of looking at revision numbers in the change tracking
> system), then, and only then, can you avoid (re)building everything
> every time.

The problem is failing to install include files that are not built -
the actual 'make' part of the build works fine.

Your comments about being able to do 'nbmake-$arch install' to
DESTDIR=/ are helpful; I have done builds by doing 'make' and 'make
install' in the pre-build.sh days, or when almost nothing had changed.
Doing 'make install' after a DESTDIR build finishes should work fine,
as long as all the mtree stuff is in order.

But, I think I'll just give up on -u, and perhaps set NOCLEANDIR, as
just the latter is what I think I really want.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>