Subject: Re: newbie question re: build.sh tools question
To: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 21:22:42
Le Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:59:38 -0500
Andrew L. Gould a ecrit :
> I have installed NetBSD, used cvs to obtain system sources and pkgsrc.
> I have done the 'build.sh tools' and compiled/installed a custom kernel.
>  I know the
> kernel is new; but have I updated the system as well? Or is that another
> step?

Yes, there is.

> In other words, is 'build.sh tools' comparable to FreeBSD's 'make
> world'?

No. The tools target only builds the toolchain used to build everything
else.

The equivalent of 'make world' would be 'build', but build.sh also offers
several other targets, such as distribution and and install.

My typical update path is the following:

./build.sh distribution (implies tools)
./build.sh kernel=MYKERNEL
(reboot with new kernel)
./build.sh install=/

Make sure you read BUILDING and UPDATING (at the root of the tree) for
more information.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.