Subject: Re: can't get dhclient to start during boot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 09:23:59
On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:39:58PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:47:08AM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> > I replaced /sbin/dhclient with the latest from ISC, but now it fails to
> > start up during boot.  It dies with the message: '/sbin/dhclient: 1:
> > Syntax error: "(" unexpected'.  Works fine from the command line after
[...]
> Maybe it's started before /usr is mounted, and so needs to be statically
> linked ?

THANK YOU!  And thanks to Patrick and David for telling me how to find out
if the program was dynamically linked.

	% ldd /sbin/dhclient
	/sbin/dhclient:
	         -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

I'll make a final report when I find the correct syntax for the DHCP
distribution's Makefile to have the programs (dhclient included) statically
linked.  I don't suppose it would be as simple as supplying LIBS with
"-L/usr/lib -lc"?  I notice in the gcc man page that there is an option
"-static", but I have no idea where you'd put that in a Makefile target.

henry