Subject: Re: handy anti-virus-mail hint
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/21/2003 21:13:09
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:04:39PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> For many of us, the constant stream of Microsoft outlook viruses is
> just an annoyance rather than a threat, but it is a big annoyance none
> the less. I find the following in the header_checks of my postfix
> configuration nicely kills all such garbage before it hits me:
>
> /^Content-(Type|Disposition):.*(file)?name=.*\.(asd|bat|chm|cmd|com|dll|exe|hlp|hta|js|jse|lnk|ocx|pif|scr|shb|shm|shs|vb|vbe|vbs|vbx|vxd|wsf|wsh)/     REJECT Sorry, we do not accept .${3} file types.

Doesn't this cause the message to bounce back to someone who didn't
send it? I mean, don't viruses that send email almost always use forged
sender information?

What with all of the viruses out there, doesn't this cause bounces of
viruses to start to be almost as serious a problem as spam (for small
periods of time, anyway)?
"Oh, I've heard that paradox a couple of times, but there's something
about a cat dying and I hate to think of such things."
  - Dr. Donald Knuth speaking of Schrodinger's cat, December 8, 1999, MIT