Subject: Re: updating packages regularly
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/18/2003 14:28:58
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:

:  * Use "make package" (is there anything that combines "make package" and "make
:    update"?).

mk.conf, add both the following:

DEPENDS_TARGET=		update
UPDATE_TARGET=		package

:  * Keep a list of the packages that you really care about, or at least
:    a list of installed packages prior to an update.

I have meta-packages in a subdirectory I call "local", so it's possible to
use one of those dependency tree tools to see what things are needed for
what parts of system functionality I require.

Also:  "make replace package" is your friend, if practiced carefully.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>