Subject: Re: restarting chrooted named from remote
To: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
From: Tim Bandy <bandy@timn8r.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/17/2003 10:49:47
    Christoph>  On 16.09-14:24, Tim Bandy wrote:
    Christoph>
    Christoph> I want to restart named9, running on a NetBSD-1.6.1
    Christoph> machine by doing:
    Christoph>
    Christoph> # ssh remote.machine "/etc/rc.d/named9 restart"
    Christoph>
    Christoph> This basically works but the problem is, the ssh
    Christoph> session never returns.
    Christoph>
    Christoph> Does anyone have an idea, why this could be?
    Christoph>
    Christoph> A wild guess would be, that the session looses its pty
    Christoph> and that ssh wouldn't like that. But I also tried ssh
    Christoph> -T, with same results.
    >>  I think that this answers your question.
    >>
    >> http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.10
    >>
    Christoph>  Thanks for the hint.
    Christoph>
    Christoph> It makes sense for ssh to wait until background jobs
    Christoph> are finished. But, named detaches from the terminal and
    Christoph> runs as a daemon. I wouldn't consider this a background
    Christoph> process.

Actually, I think that http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.11 is the
appropriate faq.  My bad.  Hopefully you found that.

Now, in light of that, I completely agree with you.  In fact, I just
logged into one of my boxen and killed cron, then did this:

% ssh root@host /usr/sbin/cron
%

Of course, it returned as soon as it had finished starting cron, and
exited as it should.  So perhaps it's something with bind9 or
/etc/rc.d/named9, neither of which I have on my netbsd box.  BTW, I
did set up bind8, and was able to duplicate my results with cron using
/usr/sbin/named.  What are the contents of /etc/rc.d/named9?  Can you
run bind9 by itself and have ssh exit as it should without using
/etc/rc.d/named9?

--
Tim Bandy (tim at timn8r dot org)

An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because
people refuse to see it.
                -- James Michener, "Space"