Subject: Re: Obfuscation
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/15/2003 00:40:27
Quoting Richard Rauch (rkr@olib.org):
>  [...]
> > >    are bright enough to construct "containment" email accounts if they so
> > >    desire (as you have done).
> >
> > Containment accounts are a blunt weapon. If you close one, people who
> > only know the containment address cannot contact you in future. Does
> > that not dissuade replies?
>
> I don't think so.  I can cut-and-paste a "containment" email address from
> mail-index.netbsd.org's web-interface.  I might not notice, and certainly
> won't care that the address is just for that list.

Any yet, spambot's don't usually "cut and paste" - they harvest
wholesale.

And if mail comes to the address, it's foldered.  If it's not from
the actual LIST, it's foldered elsewhere.

You might guess when this address will stop working.

*My* favorite are the bots that grab and use nbsd@TheAboveDomain
and leave off the meaty part.

Me?  I want to see hard jail time for a spammer or 50.  The
faux "free speech" issues aside, breaking into computers or
illegally relaying is clearly theft of service.  Using a false
address as a return address causes measurable damage to the
owner of that address.