Subject: Listmaster: please obfuscate addresses in mail archives
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-users@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/12/2003 22:04:22
[Please excuse my posting this on netbsd-users.]

I'd like to ask the maintainers of NetBSD.org to obfuscate email
addresses in message headers in the NetBSD mailing list archives.

As regular readers will know, I always post with a From: line
of the form bjan+<list>@bjan.net. This serves two purposes:

 * I can isolate spam from a tainted address; and
 * I can prove the source of the tainting.

Today, I received two almost identical emails from a Mr. J.P.
Valentini, regarding some "new services and great savings" he thought
I might be interested in. One was sent to bjan+current-users, another
to bjan+netbsd-users. Perhaps you got the same one? This demonstrates
that the NetBSD archives have been address harvested since I started
posting (late May).

It should not be necessary to explain obfuscation to anyone here. The
current archives are a gold mine of unprotected email addresses,
conveniently signposted as such. Obfuscation, done properly, raises
the work vs. benefit ratio to the point where most spammers will
simply not bother (as opposed to being ridiculously simple).

Obfuscation need not be computationally expensive. The simple
application of perl (or even sed) to the generated pages would
be sufficient. Obfuscation need only touch the headers -
obfuscation in email bodies is the responsibility of those who
write them.

Discuss.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+public@bjan.net> http://bjan.net