Subject: BitKeeper on NetBSD 1.5 - still needed?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/04/2003 18:13:07
Hi, please forgive the intrusion.  I represent the company who produces the
BitKeeper source management system, http://www.bitkeeper.com .

It's not that likely that you've heard of us though the Linux kernel
folks use BK and so does MySQL.  The most likely reason you've heard of
us, if you have, is that NTP is hosted in BitKeeper.

The SCM market is not one which will easily support an open source product
and as a result BitKeeper is closed source.  We tried giving out source
and people abused it so we pulled the source.  We're not any happier about
that than you are but we need to eat.

Since we pulled the source, we feel that we should support any and all
platforms where people may want to use BitKeeper.  We've not been good
enough on the NetBSD platforms - you folks support a _lot_ of platforms
(kudos, by the way, I'm an old BSD guy and NetBSD 1.6.1 is really a fun
OS, it's a blast from the past for me, I was at Sun and it's a lot like
SunOS used to be when SunOS was fun).

Some NetBSD folks have contacted me and asked for platform support
for other than x86 (specifically: m68k, alpha, sparc64, ppc, mips).
We're looking at doing cross compiles on NetBSD x86 for these platforms
(and any others that people ask us to do).  The regressions would not be
run on the cross compiled platforms but would be run on NetBSD 1.6.1 under
x86.  If that turned out to be a problem we could get more hardware and
do native build and test.  As much as possible we'd like to avoid that,
our electric bill for our current build cluster is around $1000/month.

What I'd like to know is if anyone cares if we drop netbsd 1.5 x86.
I'd also like to know if anyone wants BK for any platform other than
the ones listed above.

Thanks,

--lm