Subject: Sendmail with SASL AUTH
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@liveround.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2003 11:51:13
Is anybody here using SASL AUTH with Sendmail, with Netscape 7.x as a
client? I've got the Cyrus SASL 2.x and updated Sendmail 8.12.9 compiled
and installed out of pkgsrc, and it seems to work properly, but no
matter how I configure it, it won't authorize me. I've tried setting up
a sasldb with my username and password, but it doesn't seem to match.
I've also tried adding sasldb entries for user@domain.org and
user@host.domain.org - nothing seems to work. I don't know how to find
out which username Netscape is sending - although it does ask me for
password for 'user@host.domain.org'.

Here is what I get on a session, mangled for privacy. Any ideas on where
to start? sendmail.org's documentation on this is both rediculously
involved and noteably lacking at the same time.

STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
EHLO domain.org
250-domain.org Hello otherhost.otherdomain.org [x.x.x.x], pleased to
meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
AUTH CRAM-MD5
334 LotsofStuffYouDon'tNeedToSee=
MoreStuffYouDon'tNeedToSee=
535 5.7.0 authentication failed
[EOF]
421 4.4.1 bitparts.org Lost input channel from otherhost.otherdomain.org
[x.x.x.x]