Subject: Re: adventures in pkgsrc: jpilot vs. fontconfig
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2003 12:26:43
In message <20030526144041.GD21616@Xtrmntr.org>, Lubomir Sedlacik writes:

>--RhUH2Ysw6aD5utA4
>
>On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 10:30:59AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>
>> Thanks; that did it.  But why isn't fc-cache run as part of the
>> installation script for font-config?
>
>because it's a cpu consuming and can take too long on slower machines.
>not everyone builds packages on systems where they will be actually
>used so it makes no sense to build font cache during the package
>installation/creation.

Hmm -- I don't think I agree with that reasoning.  Usually, the build
machines are faster -- that's why you build on them -- and you install
on the slower machines.  Of course, it would be nice if 'make package'
didn't have to do the installation.

Anyway, thanks.  Now, to figure out if the irda support is crashing my
1.6.1 machine.  I'm quite suspicious of it.