Subject: Re: rs232-controller switches
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2003 17:43:00
This doesn't really belong in here, but it's not the first time the
topic drifts.. ;-)

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:19:07AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> When we were choosing microcontrollers for the first Weasel, about
> 1998/99, the PIC rep told us they were losing against AVR's all
> over the place but that Microchip had no plans to do flash so
> we declared them to be morons and went with Atmel.

Heh.  The PIC16C84 is in the 1994 databook.  C84 used EEPROM (so
they said), but to the developer, it was as good as FLASH.  Looking
at the sources of a radio modem project started in July 1995.. so
if your PIC dealer didn't know of electrically erasable PICs in
1998.. well.. ;-)

I'm not saying PIC is the best chip out there, though.  I use it
for small devices only, I prefer 16 and 32 bit chips for "real"
work.  I was going to switch from PIC to 68hc08 some time ago,
but found some shortcomings in the HC08 chips of the time.

  -jm