Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/17/2003 09:39:35
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:54:50AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > including any conflict detection and whatnot.  You don't even need
> > another tag in the PLIST to identify RCD scripts if they all follow a
> > known naming convention (e.g. ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME} --
> > note:  PKGNAME, not PKGBASE!).
>
> 	That breaks for packages with multiple rc.d scripts such
> 	as samba (samba, nmbd, smbd).

I'm not sure I understand "multiple."  However, with either meaning I can
imagine, I don't see how it would break anything.  What is broken is that
the "automagic" install is conflicting/confusing the "manual" install
protocol.  I think it is possible to develop a system so the people in
each school of thought aren't stepping on each other's toes.

If by multiple you mean there are alternatives for the same script, then
just number the samples:
        ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME}/rcd-samp1
        ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME}/rcd-samp2

If by multiple you mean there are a suite of scripts, each with a specific
function, e.g., mypkg-start and mypkg-stop, then do something like:
        ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME}/rcd-start
        ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME}/rcd-stop
or put all the scripts with their actual runtime names in a subdirectory,
but do NOT name that subdirectory "rc.d":
        ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME}/RCD/

henry nelson