Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/17/2003 10:21:21
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:34:12AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 May 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> It's still very simple. Recall the original post that kicked off
> this thread. (The poster was running the wrong daemon for months).
> If the message had said,
>
>    "To start the "sshd" daemon supplied by this package at
>     boot-time, add ``opensshd-pkg=YES'' to "/etc/rc.conf".
>     Then, you may run ``/etc/rc.d/opensshd-pkg start'' to
>     start it immediately."
>
> the user would never have been confused about which daemon were
> running. Observe the advantages over other alternatives:

I'd like to make three more comments before the powers-that-be iron things
out on pkg-tech, or whatever.

1)  I agree with much of what Frederick and Greg have said, particularly
    along the lines of "I'd rather manage "/etc" all by myself".  What I hope
    to express here is that two extremes of skill level are asking for about
    the same thing (though my reasons and motives are quite different from
    theirs).

2)  More than relying on MESSAGE, I wish all the necessary information were
    put right in the sample file itself as comments.  Tell me right in the
    file what and how to edit, where to copy the edited file, and how to
    start the daemon or program.  The use of pkg_info means just one more
    tool that has to be mastered and remembered, and then repeated referral
    to `man pkg_info` because I don't use it on a daily basis.  Let me just
    use 'vi' and 'cp'.  I'll never forget those.

3)  Turn "automagic" off by default, otherwise I'll never know what has
    been done.  (= don't give me another Windows nightmare)

Thanks for listening.

henry nelson