Subject: NFS - Netbsd Client - Solaris Server
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy Arnold <timothy.arnold@becta.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2003 12:19:06
Hi netbsd-users,

I have come across an interesting problem. I have been looking through the =
archives and can't find anything of any use.

A little background. I am trying to mount a filesystem from a Sun Solaris 8=
 machine to a NetBSD 1.6.1 machine.

Everything works OK for normal users, eg. My userid is 5006 - I have put th=
e same user information on the Solaris machine and Netbsd machine and I can=
 read & write files and it all works fine.

However, when it comes to the 'nobody' user I run in to difficulty.

When I setup the NetBSD machine I set the UID for nobody to 60001 to match =
the Solaris server. When I create files on the NFS filesystem, it creates t=
hem as '4294967294'

Solaris
nobody:x:60001:60001:Nobody:/:

NetBSD=20
nobody:*:60001:60001:Unprivileged user:/:/bin/sh

When I do an 'ls' on the Solaris box it returns the correct permissions

Ls -al /test/test12
-rw-r--r--   1 nobody   nobody         0 May 16 11:34 test12

However on the NetBSD box
-rw-r--r--  1 4294967294  4294967294  0 May 16 11:34 test12

Now, here is the twister - If I create a file on the physical disk of the n=
etbsd - it works fine
-rw-r--r--   1 nobody  nobody    0 May 16 12:24 test1

# id nobody
uid=3D60001(nobody) gid=3D60001 groups=3D60001

Can anyone shed any light on this problem, it would appear that it is a pro=
blem with NFS?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Timothy Arnold, Server & Network Infrastructure Support Officer, Internet S=
ervices,

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com