Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2003 16:38:32
[ On Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 14:22:34 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
>
> That's an interesting idea. I guess it would call for another tag
> (@rcd) and another database, and...  Or we could just install a script
> to ${PREFIX}/share/etc/rc.d, tell the user to copy it himself, and let
> "etcupdate" and "/etc/daily"  help handle the conflicts and history
> and so on.

"We" _do_ just install the package RCD scripts in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d

${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d currently _is_ the stand-in for
${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d or ${PREFIX}/share/${PKGNAME} or whatever.

"We" _do_ just tell the user to copy those RCD scripts to /etc/rc.d
(and then edit /etc/rc.conf to turn them on).

The only problems are that ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d is THE WORST location
possible for installing example RCD scripts into; and that the
instructions for copying the example to /etc/rc.d are lost after the
initial install is done (because they are not appended to the +DISPLAY
file).

All the other noise about automatic activation, possible conflicts, and
such is really just fallout.  It would mostly go away if the already
proposed fixes to use ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d (or similar) and the
appending of instructions to the +DISPLAY file were implemented.  I
think it would actually go away completely if some tool(s) like "sushi"
were able to do all the manual parts with the push of a button,
including any conflict detection and whatnot.  You don't even need
another tag in the PLIST to identify RCD scripts if they all follow a
known naming convention (e.g. ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGNAME} --
note:  PKGNAME, not PKGBASE!).

--
								Greg A. Woods