Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2003 12:40:45
[ On Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 11:44:51 (+0200), Martin Husemann wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
>
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:35:33AM -0400, Erik Osheim wrote:
> > After that, I had been setting sshd=NO in rc.conf, and then calling
> > /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/sshd start explicitly in rc.local.
>
> Look at the pkgsrc/mail/postfix/MESSAGE file for a *wonderfull*
> way to run a pkgsrc program instead of a system supplied one without
> even messing with the /etc/rc.d file (which would get lost on next
> update).

That's not really a fair comparison nor a useful example.  Only mailers
work well with /etc/mailer.conf, at least for now, and by name at least.

Also the trick of tweaking the settings for an existing RCD script only
works if there is a version of the software included in the base OS.

--
								Greg A. Woods