Subject: Re: utmp host entries only 16 chars
To: Juha K Kallio <bunnyh@psychedelic.baana.suomi.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2003 15:51:23
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 05:35:52PM +0300, Juha K Kallio wrote:
> This line is from /usr/include/utmp.h:
>
> #define UT_HOSTSIZE     16
>
> 16 chars can't be enough for today. Do lastlogin and others print
> longer hostnames correctly if I just change the number in that file,

I think that number is fixed by the annals of history.

> or do I have to recompile something?

You will make everything break...

> And why is that so small by default?

Because the 'founding fathers' though it was plenty :-)

> Maybe utmp should store IP numbers instead of hostnames?

You can't do that! IPv6 addresses won't fit and the remote host
need not be connected by IP.

I'd look at utmpx - which should have a lomger field, and make whatever
program is reporting the truncated name look in that instead.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk