Subject: Re: pppoe
To: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 20:56:23
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:02:47PM -0400, Ian Thomas wrote:
> > pppoectl -n 1 -n 2 pppoe0
>
> 	This didn't get either DNS server for me.  I copied them from an OS
> 	X system that was directly connected, into resolv.conf.

You need to do

  pppoectl pppoe0 query-dns=3

before the conection is established, otherwise the DNS addresses are not
negotiated.

> 	Side note.  pppoe wasn't working consistently for me in 1.6.  It
> seemed to be a problem with the MTU setting.  Some pages weren't
> displaying and others were.  1.6.1 fixed the problem and I no longer
> have to use the rp-pppoe package for pppoe.

If your ISP tries to negotiate an even smaller MTU than the default pppoe
MTU the old code did accept and acknowledge it, but did not set the interface
parameters accordingly. This has been fixed.

Martin