Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 12:46:40
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:42:57 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
> >
> > [What option?] The *whole* *point* of requiring users to copy a file
> > to /etc/rc.d before a daemon is started, is so that the system won't
> > start running random listeners by itself. How much easier can it be,
> > than to copy a single file to /etc/rc.d, edit /etc/rc.conf, then run
> > that file? As evidenced by the original post, all these beautifully
> > helpful options are just confusing people.
>
> The confusion which apparently prompted the first message in this thread
> than yet another very similar other thread is caused solely because of
> the use of ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d as the installation location of the sample
> RCD scripts.
>
> > This entire topic has been discussed to death on the appropriate
> > lists, and it's not even on topic here.
>
> I think it is an appropriate topic on netbsd-users since it is caused by
> the continuing use of a very confusing choice of installation
> destinations for these RCD scripts, and it will continue to be a F.A.Q.
> here and elsewhere until this confusion is eliminated once and for all.

Actually, netbsd-users was supposed to be for things unrelated to
the design of NetBSD, such as "What program can I use to do this (on
NetBSD)?", but it hasn't really worked out that way, so whatever.

> >  Our shame is that we've layed
> > out 100,000 options, rather than coming to a decision to give users
> > one recommended way.
>
> I and at least several others believe this confusion would be totally
> and completely eliminated if instead the RCD scripts were installed (by
> default at least) into ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d.

I agree.

Hey, were you, at one time, advocating running the start-up scripts
from ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d? If so, what made you change your mind?

> We also believe the instructions for installing and configuring any
> package (i.e. any messages uttered by the REQUIRE and INSTALL script(s))
> should be automaticaly appended to the MESSAGE file when the package is
> installed (in addition to being displayed to the TTY of the installer,
> of course) so that those instructions can be reviewed at any time after
> the install has been done.

Sure.

Frederick