Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 13:31:29
[ On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:42:57 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
>
> [What option?] The *whole* *point* of requiring users to copy a file
> to /etc/rc.d before a daemon is started, is so that the system won't
> start running random listeners by itself. How much easier can it be,
> than to copy a single file to /etc/rc.d, edit /etc/rc.conf, then run
> that file? As evidenced by the original post, all these beautifully
> helpful options are just confusing people.

The confusion which apparently prompted the first message in this thread
than yet another very similar other thread is caused solely because of
the use of ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d as the installation location of the sample
RCD scripts.

> This entire topic has been discussed to death on the appropriate
> lists, and it's not even on topic here.

I think it is an appropriate topic on netbsd-users since it is caused by
the continuing use of a very confusing choice of installation
destinations for these RCD scripts, and it will continue to be a F.A.Q.
here and elsewhere until this confusion is eliminated once and for all.

>  Our shame is that we've layed
> out 100,000 options, rather than coming to a decision to give users
> one recommended way.

I and at least several others believe this confusion would be totally
and completely eliminated if instead the RCD scripts were installed (by
default at least) into ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d.

We also believe the instructions for installing and configuring any
package (i.e. any messages uttered by the REQUIRE and INSTALL script(s))
should be automaticaly appended to the MESSAGE file when the package is
installed (in addition to being displayed to the TTY of the installer,
of course) so that those instructions can be reviewed at any time after
the install has been done.

--
								Greg A. Woods