Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 11:57:16
On Wed, 14 May 2003, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > [What option?] The *whole* *point* of requiring users to copy a file
> > to /etc/rc.d before a daemon is started, is so that the system won't
> > start running random listeners by itself. How much easier can it be,
> > than to copy a single file to /etc/rc.d, edit /etc/rc.conf, then run
> > that file? As evidenced by the original post, all these beautifully
> > helpful options are just confusing people.
>
> 	Requiring copying the file to /etc/rc.d doesn't stop the
> 	system from running random listeners - requiring setting in
> 	rc.conf does that. We should either have a command to install
> 	the rc.d files for a given package, or just install them
> 	by default (ie default PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes).

I have a few problems with setting PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS to yes. A few
package scripts are still broken, and don't check the setting of a
variable. Those could probably be fixed in a single sweep. Fixing that
would make it a lot more acceptable, but even with that, there's still
those annoying name space collisions. Finally, the implementation
delete scripts from "/etc/rc.d", under some circumstances, when the
package is deleted, which I find really annoying.

> > This entire topic has been discussed to death on the appropriate
> > lists, and it's not even on topic here. Our shame is that we've layed
> > out 100,000 options, rather than coming to a decision to give users
> > one recommended way.
>
> 	It might make sense to try to list the useful options, then
> 	provide just those, in a clearly documented way.

I really think we should nix most of them. If we choose the "right"
solution, when a new user asks how to do it, we can give him a brief
outline, point him to the documentation, and that will end the
discussion. If we choose the wrong one, or simply document the lack
of consensus, he'll want to talk about it, and that'll just start the
whole argument all over again, and again.

Frederick