Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 17:01:44
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> [What option?] The *whole* *point* of requiring users to copy a file
> to /etc/rc.d before a daemon is started, is so that the system won't
> start running random listeners by itself. How much easier can it be,
> than to copy a single file to /etc/rc.d, edit /etc/rc.conf, then run
> that file? As evidenced by the original post, all these beautifully
> helpful options are just confusing people.

	Requiring copying the file to /etc/rc.d doesn't stop the
	system from running random listeners - requiring setting in
	rc.conf does that. We should either have a command to install
	the rc.d files for a given package, or just install them
	by default (ie default PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes).

> This entire topic has been discussed to death on the appropriate
> lists, and it's not even on topic here. Our shame is that we've layed
> out 100,000 options, rather than coming to a decision to give users
> one recommended way.

	It might make sense to try to list the useful options, then
	provide just those, in a clearly documented way.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --