Subject: Re: IDE LED always on
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 09:39:32
> Speaking of DSL modems, I wish I had a little electronic switch that
> I could open/close by controlling the DTR serial pin, say.  My modem often
> loses synch (my ISP says that all DSL modems do this) and can't resynch
> on its own, about once every week or three.  The only way to get it back
> to life is to cycle the modem's power (!@#$ brain-damage inspired by
> MS, no doubt).  For a non-hardwawre type, is there an inexpensive part
> or switch that will let me do this?  The best any electronics places could
> suggest was an X10 module which is overkill and way too much trouble, as
> well as probably being 10 to 100 times more expensive than what I think I
> really need...)

All you need is a TRIAC in the AC supply - which will switch mains
from a few volts either side of ground.  You really need an opto-isolater
though, to allow for the difference between mains neutral and 'earth'
(or to allow for 'high-side' switching').

The required parts might even fit inside a UK mains plug!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk