Subject: Re: pppoe
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: felix zaslavskiy <felix@students.poly.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2003 19:56:56
On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 13:08, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> Yuck.  PPPoE just reeks of kludge.
>
> Anyway.  I moved in to a new apartment where there's verizon DSL service
> using pppoe.  I've found the configuration to be quite straight-forward
> under NetBSD, but I have a couple of questions.
>
> I've setup pppoe as described in the NetBSD docs
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/).  There are a
> couple of problems, though.  First is that the default route is not
> being configured at boot time.  The documentation at the above URL
> indicates that ifwatchd should run the "up" script at boot, but it
> really doesn't seem to be doing it.

It always seems to me like ifwatchd runs the up scrip as soon as the
connection with pppoe is established. This seems reasonable. The defautl
route seems to be set up correctly.

Dhclient is what gives me nuasance. I ofter move my laptop around so I
need to switch from dhclient connections to dsl and back.  This is what
would happen.  I would connect on some private network and get a
10.0.0.x dns server in my resolv.conf file then i move my laptop back to
dsl and resolv.conf woudl be bogus.  My solution is to run dns caching
server localy and put  echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
into the /etc/ppp/ip-up scrip. Also the default route added by dhclient
is left around so i often need to do  /etc/rc.d/network restart

Two things i still like to figure out.
1. How to prevent dhclient overwriting resolv.conf
2. Basicaly how to cause dhclient to clean up all the chages that are
made
3. How to set up the ipf smartly. I like to do something like
  block in on pppoe0 or ex0 ......