Subject: Re: Allowing FTP via a ipfilter firewall
To: Phil Pereira <freeserver@wintellect.co.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2003 20:07:36
On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 06:40:59PM +0100, Phil Pereira wrote:

> Am trying out ipfilter on my NetBSD box via my LAN. It seems
> to be running fine, however, when connecting via ftp, I can
> log in, but it refuses to let me get a file or "ls" - it just
> hangs. If I FTP into the box from itself, all works fine

This sound like you are not using passive ftp. For NetBSDs ftp client this
is the default, but most others default to active connections. Most modern
clients support the "passive" command though (or have a checkbox to that
effect).

For NAT the ipf ftp proxy fixes the problem - I have no idea (and refuse to
think deeper about it) if this works for filtering too.

Martin