Subject: Re: Software versions in fresh NetBSD Install?
To: Roger Fischer <roger@aileron.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/06/2003 09:09:23
On Mon, 5 May 2003, Roger Fischer wrote:

> Lets say there is a package that is already in the default install.
> for example /usr/bin/ssh
>
> If I install a newer version via pkgsrc,
> then it's installed as /usr/pkg/bin/ssh
>
> Now, if /usr/pkg/bin is before /usr/bin in my search path
> I'm guessing that I'll have to pkg-delete the version in /usr/pkg/bin
> if the version installed by 1.6.1 is newer than the one I installed via pkgsrc.
> Correct?

Sure. Recent packages put the config files for openssh in "/etc" by
default (rather than "/usr/pkg/etc") to make the migration easier.

More troubling will be the libraries: "openssl", "intl", "curses"
(which now does for "ncurses" in a lot of packages), and the new
libraries installed with XFree 4, including "xpm", "mesa", and
"freetype". You should pkg_delete, then rebuild, everything that
depends on "openssl", "gettext" or "gettext-lib", "ncurses",
"freetype", "xpm", or "Mesa" or "Mesa-*". That's a lot of packages,
and 1.6.1 has a better compiler than 1.5.2, so you probably ought
to just rebuild everything.

Frederick