Subject: Re: Software versions in fresh NetBSD Install?
To: Roger Fischer <roger@aileron.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/06/2003 06:55:26
On Mon, 5 May 2003, Roger Fischer wrote:

> Lets say there is a package that is already in the default install.
> for example /usr/bin/ssh
>
> If I install a newer version via pkgsrc,
> then it's installed as /usr/pkg/bin/ssh
>
> Now, if /usr/pkg/bin is before /usr/bin in my search path I'm guessing
> that I'll have to pkg-delete the version in /usr/pkg/bin if the version
> installed by 1.6.1 is newer than the one I installed via pkgsrc.
> Correct?

That will be a good idea. (But if you keep your pkgsrc up-to-date,
probably the versions in it will be newer.)

(By the way, pkgsrc/security/openssh can be installed to /usr instead
of /usr/pkg by defining UPDATE_INTREE_OPENSSH.)

> I just didn't know if there is an easy way to compare everything in
> my pkg database with my soon to be default 1.6.1 system to make it
> easier to decide what I need to take out.  Hopefully, the overlap
> shouldn't be too large.

There is not an easy way. The overlap is very little.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/