Subject: Re: Software versions in fresh NetBSD Install?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@aileron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2003 22:49:34
Thanks Jeremy.

That helps quite a bit.

>On Mon, 5 May 2003, Roger Fischer wrote:
>
>>  I was wondering... how do I tell what versions of software I have
>>  installed in my
>  > default 1.5.2 installation?  Is this documented anywhere?
>
>  > Assume what's in my default install in /usr/bin is old (probably).
>>  I've put in a newer one via pkgsrc in /usr/pkg/bin.
>
>What do you mean?

What I meant here was...
Lets say there is a package that is already in the default install.
for example /usr/bin/ssh

If I install a newer version via pkgsrc,
then it's installed as /usr/pkg/bin/ssh

Now, if /usr/pkg/bin is before /usr/bin in my search path
I'm guessing that I'll have to pkg-delete the version in /usr/pkg/bin
if the version installed by 1.6.1 is newer than the one I installed via pkgsrc.
Correct?

I just didn't know if there is an easy way to compare everything in
my pkg database with my soon to be default 1.6.1 system to make it
easier to decide what I need to take out.  Hopefully, the overlap
shouldn't be too large.

- Rog