Subject: Re: configuring the scroll button (?) on a laptop
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Florence HENRY <Florence.Henry@obspm.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2003 15:55:02
On Sat, 3 May 2003, Christian Biere wrote:

> > I should then check that the pms support is in my kernel, and add
> > those lines in my XF86Config file :
> >
> > Section "Pointer"
> > 	Protocol        "busmouse"
> > 	Device          "/dev/pms0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > can I have 2 "pointer" sections ? one in wsmouse and one in pms ?
>
> there's no such section "Pointer" AFAIK. Did you read XF86Config(5)?

I just picked up those lines in the netbsd documentation about X server...
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/x/#wsmouse

I realize now that the "pointer" section was available under XFree 3.x.x
and before. With XFree 4.x.x, there is no more "pointer"  sections, but
many "InputDevice" ones, in which you can put how many keyboards and mice
you want.

Anyway, I don't think it is an XFree problem, because a cat /dev/wsmouse0
is not echoing anything when I click on the four-way pad.

The 4-way pad (see http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/~henry/p25.jpg) *is* part of the
touchpad, then it should "say" something on the /dev/wsmouse0...

the dmesg says :
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0

I had a look in the pms driver, put the debug mode "on", and I saw that
the trackpad was recognized as a 3-buttons mouse without scroll. The
problem may be here : the kernel doesn't know this kind of pms mouse, then
it is detected as a basic mouse...

any idea before I try to modify the driver ?

---
Florence HENRY
florence.henry@obspm.fr