Subject: Re: tinydns usuage?
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2003 10:57:44
Caffeinate wrote:

> I'm about to switch one of my system from bind to tinydns. Anyone using
> tinydns? Any critiques? Praises? It seems like a nice little
> package.

Yes, and dnscache.

> One problem I perceive is NetBSD rc.d  has control over the order of
> script startup. Since svscan doesn't know about order, and named
> variable is needed in rc.d before other services can start that could
> cause some problems.

One solution to this is to start svscan early but configure all the
services that it controls to have 'down' as their normal state. The
startup and shutdown order can then be controlled by rc.d scripts (svc
-u, svc -d, svc -h etc).

Personally I haven't found it necessary to do this: having the local
host name in /etc/hosts and using 'files dns' for hosts in
/etc/nsswitch.conf seems good enough for the services I run and I
haven't observed any ordering problems.

Regards,

Giles