Subject: Re: Newbie: please help (Out of ptys in i386 system)
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2003 12:04:50
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:43:05PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently installed Netbsd Release 1.6 on one of the Intel system,
> > can you please let me know how can we increase the number of ptys so that
> > users can log in remotely. The default number of ptys that the system is
> > supporting in 64, whats the way out to increase this number. Any help to
> > sort out this problem would be appreciated.
>
> please read documentation about compiling your own kernel (at
> www page go to Documentation and FAQs)

That has not been neccessary for a while.

sysctl kern.maxptys

will tell you how many ptys your kernel will permit. It can be changed
with

sysctl -w kern.maxptys=[newnumber]

The limit you're likely hittin is the number of /dev/tty* entries
created by default. Go to /dev and type
ls tty[pqrstuvwxyzPQRST]* | wc -l

To find out how many you have now.

Then to make more,

./MAKEDEV pty0 pty1 ...  (up to 15 if you want)

Each one gives you (2*26)+10 ptys.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,